Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Some thoughts on the week

Here are some random thoughts I have had this week:

Being the person that I am (that being an accounting nerd) I am going to talk about the economy. Honestly, it scares me to think that we are going to be stuck with a $700 BILLION bill for inept corporate executives. Legislatures now want to see more regulation. Don't they understand that government is why we are in this mess in the first place?! Capitalism isn't the problem- corporatism is the issue. And how did we allow these companies get so big? Funny thing is, if you look at the federal government's financial statements, not knowing that it was the government, the normal person would not invest. It is terrible! Regulation is not the answer. Oversight- yes. Regulation- no. We are already in tons of debt and this will push us over the edge. The thing about the market is that if a terrible CEO makes bad decisions, they lose money. The market works. Bailing them out will just increase moral hazard. UGH!

This week has been pretty standard. Classes have been pretty uneventful-which is a good thing I guess! Grad school is a really different experience. It is really unstructured. We don't really have exams. Our classes are really discussion based, which brings our learning to a different level. The internship definitely helped prepare me for the Masters program. I will be thrilled when school is over, though! It will be wonderful to be working and doing what I love. One thing is for sure: I am so glad that this will be my LAST Pullman winter! I am incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful group of friends: Cherise, Shari, all the St. Tommy's girls, and the rest of the MAcc program kiddos. There are some very important people that I miss more every day, though!

What I am looking forward to over the next couple of months:
- Search Retreat (Oct. 10-12)
- Fall TV show premieres! ( yeah, I know- I'm a dork)
-Greta's visit
- Getting to see who our new hires are!
-Halloween!
-The election being OVER
-Getting to see Gordon

Finally- I need ideas for what to be for Halloween. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Candace said...

Hi Dani dear! Sounds like you are doing well. I watched Grey's Anatomy yesterday and totally thought of Seattle and you and all of my peeps there. Kinda weird that Grey's gets me going on Seattle, but oh well.

The economy is a complete wreck, and I feel like everywhere I go it's an issue. I don't know about you but all of my professors LOVE to talk about it, which is good. I just think it's a mess and who know how you really "fix" it. Love you!