Friday, June 26, 2009

an afternoon for a movie


Today I had a date with my aunt and saw the new movie My Sister's Keeper. It is about the Fitzgerald family who genetically prescreens their third child to be a perfect match to save their daughter Kate who has leukemia. After 11 years of being a donor Anna decides that it is time to make her own decisions. She sues her parents for medical emancipation. I've mentioned before how it is one of my favorite books, so I was excited to see the film adaptation. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Cameron Diaz surprised me, the dad was very attractive (I just had to mention that!), and I love little Abigail Breslin. Some would argue that you shouldn't count on me as a movie critic, though, because I enjoyed Australia!! However, the film makers did leave out a few important, and interesting, side stories and COMPLETELY changed the ending! For those of you who haven't read the book, here is your *Spoiler Alert* :)


In the movie Kate ends up losing her battle with leukemia. However, in the book Anna is involved in a car accident on the way to see Kate at the hospital after winning her court case. She is shortly thereafter declared brain dead and her kidneys are given to Kate, saving Kate's life. That isn't just a little change to the story. That is a HUGE change! I guess I can try to forgive Nick Cassavetes. He did give us The Notebook, after all.

Any who, I highly recommend this movie :) On another note, my parents are on me again about developing a hobby. I never found one growing up because I was always at some lesson of some sort. Suggestion?! All I have right now for ideas are sewing or violin. It is kind of sad when people ask what I do "for fun" and I can only come up with really lame answers!

1 comment:

Rachel Cook said...

I can teach you to crochet! But maybe that is a little too girlie...there's always model airplanes