Wednesday, October 8, 2008

5 Books That Have Changed My Life

Given the fact that I am an accountant, and therefore NOT creative, I have decided to try searching for blog prompts! I am sure all of you will be happy that you won't always be bored by reading the details of my mundane life in every post. But- don't think you get off that easy. I will still give you updates =)

Today's prompt is "5 books that changed your life are..."
  1. The Bible- the Living Word of God, how can you get more lift changing than that?

  2. Cry, The Beloved Country- a wonderful story about an Anglican priest in South Africa and his stuggles to save his son.

  3. Three Cups of Tea- the true story of a man working for peace in Pakistan by building schools for young girls.

  4. Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte's masterpiece. Love and mystery at its greatest.

  5. My Sister's Keeper- A young girl born to save her sister- can she save her one last time?

These books have all influenced the way I think about God and love. Love comes in many forms, and God shows us His love in many forms. Most of all, His love is why I don't lose faith in humanity. A number of these books have shown me that people are capable of making great strides in the world. It reminds me of a saying that goes, "To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." Also, things are not always what they seem on the outside. People are complicated, and the world is complicated. We can only try to grasp ounces of understanding. Finally, I have to say that Wuthering Heights is the only novel from the Gothic genre that didn't depress me! What a wonderful, complicated love story.


2 comments:

Candace said...

Yeah for all of these new posts! I love catching up with you and your life. So I had a class with Matt today and we were talking about how he moves to Seattle and starts at EY so soon! I am semi-jealous. I miss you. Hope things are good.

Kayleen said...

I still would love to borrow Three Cups of Tea :) Maybe you could bring it tonight?