Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not feeling so well...

Well- my ulcerative colitis decided it would make itself known this past week. Yay! It is a severe form of IBS that I was diagnosed with in high school. I basically had ulcers in my colon. Yuck. No gross details, but you can imagine what this causes. I have been on an IV medication and an immune suppressant (my immune system is what causes the inflammation which then forms the ulcers) that has gotten rid of the ulcers, but if I'm not careful I'll still feel the inflammation. My doctor down in the Tri-Cities has been trying to get me off of the immune suppressant for three years. I understand why he wants me to, but every time I try I get sick. This summer right before the internship my doctor told me that we should try going off the immune suppressant and try the highest dose possible of the IV medication. I said why not, and it worked for seven weeks the first session (I get IVs every eight weeks) but only six weeks this time. So, I haven't been feeling so hot the past ten days, but I get my IV on Friday!! I also said enough is enough and went back on the immune suppressant. It will take awhile to build back up,though. As long as we check blood work regularly I should be ok being back on it. The worst part about this is that I wasn't able to go on the Search retreat :( I was really looking forward to it, but I had to do what was best.


It's been hard, but I am trying to find God in this situation. I feel that it is really humbling me. I've had long periods of time where I have been completely fine and don't even think about this disease. Right when I get to that point God says, "Oh wait! I'm not going to let you forget." I have made great strides- when I was first diagnosed and was REALLY sick I didn't know if I would be able to go away to college. Now I am in grad school! I hope that God can use me to help those with chronic illnesses to see that He is there and that He is the one that helps us get through it. We can never lose faith that there will be better times, and can never lose faith that there will be a cure. I don't want pity, but I decided to talk about this since it is what I am dealing with right now. I've got my heating pad, Powerade, and soup- a girls best friends!


1 comment:

Kayleen said...

Oh Dani - I'm sorry about you feeling so icky. I am also sorry you didn't get to go on Search. You were definetly missed. But there are still lots of fun things to do at church! Also, I am very sorry I haven't called you back yet. We will have to make a date soon to hang out.

Again, I am sorry that you aren't feeling well - Mike and I will pray for you!