Monday, January 5, 2009

My First Year

The past few days I have found myself looking back on the past year and all of the changes it has brought for me. (A new year always makes me do this!) While there were a number of them , none matches my decision to come back to the Catholic church and receive the sacraments of initiation. I am amazed that it has been a year since by decision to become Catholic.

For all my life I have seen God's hand working in this world. My mom had be baptized in the church and raised me to believe in the creed. God had an interesting path for me, however. This would include me being raised in the Lutheran church from the time I was 5. I became very active in youth group and confirmation classes and even served on a regional youth board. The youth group had a huge impact on my faith development and there are a number of people who have left permanent foot prints on my heart. There is no doubt that God had a reason for this journey. My mom eventually went back to the Catholic church and encouraged me to think about joining her. Five years ago I vowed NEVER to convert. God must have had a great laugh at that, because He knew that in time that would change!

After a few years in college I started to question WHY I was Lutheran. There was never a question as to whether I believed in God, but why was I worshiping Him the way I was? Was I Lutheran because my dad simply wouldn't convert to Catholicism when I was a child? I felt like I needed to take ownership of my faith in a strange way. After reading about Catholicism and talking with a priest, I quickly realized that the way I viewed God was very Catholic. I knew what I needed to do, and last Christmas I told my family. I returned to Pullman and started RCIA classes and received my first communion and was confirmed on Easter Vigil.

The whole experience has been life changing. I feel closer to Him than ever before. Experiencing Him through the sacraments has been pretty awesome. Seeing how He is working through others and in the world is even better. I am constantly amazed at His faithfulness. He has given me all that I have, and has given me all that I need. There were times when I questioned why things were happening the way there were. For instance, was WSU the place for me?After I had questioned I would just say, "Father, I really hope this is all going to work out." Now I look back and see that everything has happened perfectly according to His plan. I would not want to be anywhere but where I am today. I have been blessed with my dream job at Ernst & Young, I will graduate in May, and I have doctors who have been able to help me. Not only that, but I have a loving family and amazing friends. It is His faithfulness and love that sustain me.

Really, though, I am just an unworthy servant who has been blessed with much more that I could ever imagine. Everyday I am constantly trying to serve Him to the best of my abilities, and I am humbled when I fail. With the Spirit as my strength I keep trying, though. Because to experience the grace of God is...fabulous =)

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

OH Dani, what a nice reflection on your past year :) I know exactly how you feel about becoming Catholic. Faith is a gift, a gift I wish that everyone would decide to accept!